Tuesday, May 28, 2013

These Eggs!


Let's not dilly-dally! Let's not fuss around with stories and details (well, maybe just a little bit!). Let's just make some eggs! Right?


I love these eggs. LOVE. This, is, hands-down, my favorite egg dish ever. It's so easy. It's so versatile. It makes a perfect breakfast or lunch or brunch or dinner. This is, in fact, the recipe I've been using longer than any other. I can't wait for you to make these eggs.


If there is a food that you want to combine with eggs, put it in! Through the years, I have tried nearly every possible addition, and I'm not sure I could even declare a favorite. Every time I make this egg casserole, I say, this is the best egg casserole ever.


Spring is a delicious time to make these eggs. Most recently, I compiled fingerling potatoes, asparagus, green garlic, spring onions, white cheddar cheese, and chives. Mushrooms made it to the top, but not the insides (Andy's out on mushrooms, as we all know). I also love this casserole with cooked sausage as the bottom layer. I've used both ground pork sausage, bacon, and chopped spicy chicken sausage with great success. If there is a cheese you love, put it in! Or put it on top! Or use ten different cheeses! If there is a vegetable you love, put it in! Some of my favorites are spinach, red pepper, asparagus, onion, but I have tried some pretty wacky vegetables that have worked surprisingly well. Go southwest with it, and add pinto beans, corn, plus tomatoes or salsa on top. Go Greek with it and use spinach, feta, and olives. Go diner style and use potatoes, American cheese, and sausage. Go forest-style, and use asparagus, morels, goat cheese, and balsamic on top. Go Denver-omelet style and add onions, peppers, and ham. Agh! Everything is so good in these eggs!


Are you watching this process? The steps are: put things in dish. Put in eggs. Bake. That's it!


Poof! It's done! You will be so happy. I just know it.

Egg Casserole
from the Honest To Goodness Cookbook
serves 4-6, or double it to serve 10-12

Preheat oven to 350.

Whisk these four things:
6 eggs
1/3 C half & half
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Grease a pan with butter or oil. I use a 9x9" for a 6-egger, and a 9x13" for the 12-egger. Layer up your bits! I like to add a layer of cheese on the bottom (a hard cheese, like cheddar, usually) and then add vegetables in layers. Pour eggs on top. Alternatively, you can mix the vegetables in with the eggs and pour everything into the pan. It's up to you!

Bake for 30 minutes, or until set and slightly poofy. Add another layer of cheese while it's still hot.

Serve with hot sauce, a little balsamic, or salsa, depending on what sorts of ingredients you put in there. Slices of the egg casserole are also lovely on a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment