Sunday, May 19, 2013

Nut Butter Brigade


Here is what happens:

The nut butter aisle lures me in!
But the prices turn me off.

Yet sometimes I fork over eight or nine bucks for a jar!
And I bring it home and end up enormously disappointed.

The layer of oil on the top is natural, I know, but it's disgusting to me.
It sloshes out when I try to stir the nut butter, which is usually so firm
that I give up on the whole stirring thing altogether.

And then the nut butter tastes like nothing but oil!
And it's not worth it! And I feel so sad.

This is why I have developed my own nut butter formula.
Now I am so happy. Let us rejoice, because this stuff is GOOD.

My new favorite variety is an almond butter that has a few basic, yet amazing, additions. The recipe is based on a few nut butter recipes that I've come across this week, so pardon the lack of reference to a specific site.

Alright now! Off you go! Prepare to give your food processor a run for its money. It's gonna get hot, and you'll need to be patient, but you can do it!

Almond Butter 

2 C raw, unsalted almonds
3 oz. freeze dried fruit (I love it with apples or bananas, but any fruit will do)
1/3 C dried unsweetened coconut
1/4 t vanilla bean paste
1/4 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon

Roast almonds at 350 degrees in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Watch closely! They should not change color much, but should become slightly fragrant and a bit softer. This should take about 8 minutes, but every oven is different!

Whiz the freeze dried fruit in the food processor until powdery. Add coconut, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla paste and whiz again to combine. Add the almonds and process, stopping to scrape down sides when necessary. The nut butter will look crumbly and NOTHING like nut butter at first, but be patient. Process for about 10-15 minutes, taking breaks when your food processor starts to get too hot to touch. Don't worry about leaving it alone while the device cools down -- this nut butter ain't goin' nowhere!
As you continue to process it, it will get creamier and creamier. Avoid the urge to add liquid, because you don't need it! Keep going, and soon you will have almond butter. Keep in a jar, either in or out of the fridge, depending on your desired consistency and temperature. Never give Whole Foods your nut butter allowance ever again!

No comments:

Post a Comment