Sunday, November 25, 2012

Hunting Season And More


Reader-friends, I hope you've all had an amazingly satisfying Thanksgiving weekend, full of deer capturing and wildlife taming. As we shift, groaning no doubt, into a new work week, wishing for a vacation from our vacation and grasping wildly for any kind of food that does not resemble a turkey or a pumpkin, I wish you the very best of luck. We're going to need it! I've got a few ideas about how to make the following holiday food-food-food weeks bearable in a safely indulgent way, so stay tuned. Great things are coming down the line. I have so many things I am very much excited to share with you as soon as humanly possible.

And now, acknowledgements, credits, and thanks:

My dad, whose photograph you see above, taken in Suttons Bay, Michigan. All credit goes to you. Perfect find, Dad. (Mom, thanks for being with him when he took this picture. You have always been really good at getting people to places in one piece.)

My family, by blood and by not-blood. You told really great stories at all three of the Thanksgiving dinners I attended, and I love good stories. Topics included, but were not limited to: how big turkeys get, zoo babies, our "real" lives, sporting events whose rules I don't understand, idiots, where penguins live, the point of cities, "the real" Sasquatch, a 30-pack of Miller Lite + blacking out on an airplane, childhood vacations, Glamour Shots, home robbery involving nudity, corn, Communism, and what happens when a house cat goes into a rhinoceros exhibit.

My kitchen. You got me through yet another Thanksgiving preparation. Good job refrigerator, stovetop, oven, dishwasher, pots, pans, utensils, and red table. You did it!

Thanks to you, readers. You are my reason! I would write to you all day, every day if I could.

Full-bellied Thanksgiving warriors, let's all be appreciative of all we have learned and all we have gained this year. And, most importantly, let's honor all that we have lost this year. Our losses shape us more than anything else ever could.


Hurrah for our food and for our everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment