Sunday, September 4, 2011

President of the Coconut Club


After discovering that a certain someone loves coconut with all his might, I decided it was time to finally figure out the macaroon mystery. It's like this, you see: I've never been able to get them right. Ever. 

Here's the thing. A macaroon is so stunningly simple. And yet, there are so many lousy ones out there. And the ones I make? Well, they aren't terrible, they aren't inedible, but they're just not amazing. Just not perfect. That is, until now! A-ha!

After all these years, I have finally (finally!) found the perfect macaroon recipe. Praise to you, coconut! You're finally getting the treatment you deserve. (And apologies for all those times I basically ruined you by swaddling you in unnecessary ingredients, like sweetened condensed milk and other such nonsense ingredients). 
 
Let's just clarify, first of all. Here's what I want in a macaroon: crisp exterior, creamy interior. I want them to be this way when they come out of the oven, and I want them to be this way when I am eating them for dinner, three days later, instead of my vegetables. I want them a bit sweet, but definitely not too sweet. I don't want to wince from sugar overload when I take my first bite, because I sometimes want to be able to eat one for breakfast. I want them to look good too -- golden brown wisps on top with crisp golden-brown bottom. Really...is this too much to ask? It can't be. And it's not! Hurrah!

When you read this recipe, you will maybe roll your eyes. You will say, cake flour? I'm not buying cake flour just for these silly macaroons! You will say, room temperature egg whites? I don't have the time! And you will say, Refrigerate two hours?! Absurd! But. But! Hear me out. You must do these things. They are important! And you will thank me later, preferably by swinging by my house with a basket of sample macaroons, so I can see just how well you did with your coconut project.

Macaroons
makes about 2 dozen

3 cups shredded, sweetened coconut
4 egg whites, room temperature
1 t vanilla (use good vanilla is you can -- preferably vanilla bean paste)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cake flour
1/4 t salt

In a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk together the egg whites, sugar, and salt. When this mixture is warm to the touch and looking creamy, remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and flour. Stir in coconut. Cover and refrigerate for about two hours, or until firm.  

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or use a Silpat, which I highly recommend for this project). Place small mounds (use heaping tablespoons or a cookie scoop) of the batter on the baking sheets, spacing several inches apart.  Bake for about 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container. Eat frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment