Friday, November 26, 2010

I'm Thankful For


  • the first text message I received on Thanksgiving, cryptic and hysterical: Kill A Turkey!
  • waking up knowing that cooking is my only assignment for the day
  • five days off + three days off with M.
  • red slippers (and wondering if my mom is wearing her identical ones)
  • the sound of the under-cabinet lights flickering on in the kitchen
  • the red red red of cranberry sauce in the refrigerator light
  • the clatter of measuring cups
  • jazz organ + dancing all day in the kitchen with my very own Bill Cosby dance impersonator
  • the sizzle of bacon in the oven
  • coffee (and someone who likes to pour it for me and knows to put in two spoons of sugar) 
  • the squeak of the biscuit cutter on the countertop
  • eating said biscuits with pumpkin butter at the kitchen table
  • Brilliant Food Tips & Cooking Tricks by David Joachim
  • an empty dishwasher when I start cooking
  • watching waves roll in while I wash dishes
  • hot water (even though it's been smelling a little mysterious lately)
  • parsley, sage, and mint in jars on the windowsill
  • Mrs. Meyer's pine-scented soap
  • a well-seasoned iron skillet
  • a long walk on the sand and a handful of beach glass to prove it
  • bacon-wrapped pork wearing a turkey costume
  • Hendrick's gin wearing a martini costume
  • pineapple-mint cocktails wearing no costume
  • bare feet during Thanksgiving dinner
  • not burning, overcooking, or undercooking ANYTHING this time!
  • Beautiful Home Home Cooked Meal For Pure And Simple Living
  • all this love + all this laughter + all this everything
  • knowing my family and friends are safe and being loved, even though they aren't with me
  • building a memory at the table
  • falling (no, really, falling) into bed at the end of it all
  • being headache-free in the morning and not having to go to work
  • Thanksgiving for breakfast (sans martinis this time, I swear)


No comments:

Post a Comment