Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Beheading

I was astounded by how much this ball of lettuce roots looked like a knob of hair. I left it out on the bread board and wanted desperately to startle Matthew, or at least make him do a double take. But no. After he came home and walked past it twenty-five times, I finally had to say something.

Did you see the hair on the bread board? I asked.
You mean the lettuce roots?
he replied.

Okay, really?! This is coming from someone who thinks compares everything in the kitchen to a body part or a body fluid. Granted, he ends up eating everything that comes out of the kitchen, but his power to makes gigantic leaps in the food-comparisons-to-other-things department never fails to astound me. So, anyway. Even though I was a little upset that he didn't see the horror of the hair, I thought about it a little bit more and decided I should be proud. That boy of mine identified lettuce roots, for crying out loud! His culinary education is soaring, everyone. Soaring!

No comments:

Post a Comment