Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Your Little Miracle

Fusilli keeps stepping into my life. I came across five fusilli recipes yesterday when I was attempting to reorganize my binders (and binders, and binders) of recipe ideas. Then, my favorite kind of fusilli was on sale at the grocery store today and I came home from the store, turned the TV on, and saw the Seinfeld episode in which Kramer makes the "fusilli Jerry." Incredible! Ah, fusilli. Welcome.

Quick and Lovely Dreamboat Fusilli
Takes 15 minutes! Serves 4! It's a miracle!

16 0z. fusilli (the long strands if you can find them, otherwise the short pieces are fine)
10 oz. frozen peas
3/4 C walnut pieces
2/3 C half & half or light cream (or milk could work, too)
1 C crumbled blue cheese
1/4 C chopped fresh basil or flat leaf parsley (or a combination of both)
1 t red pepper flakes
salt & pepper

Heat a pot of water to boiling. Add 1 t salt and fusilli; cook as directed.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat half & half, 1/4 t salt, and 1/3 C water over medium heat. (If you are using milk, I'd say to omit the water and increase milk amount to 1 cup.) Bring to a simmer and add the blue cheese. Heat and continue to cook for another minute or two, or until sauce has thickened. Add 1 t black pepper, red pepper flakes, and a little bit more salt to taste.

Pour the peas in a colander and drain the fusilli over them.

Toss pasta, peas, sauce, walnuts, and basil.

If you have a little bit of fusilli left, I'd recommend making a tiny sculpture of yourself! You know, as a gift. For your mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment