Monday, February 22, 2010

Marry Me, Meyer Lemon


Meyer lemon, you are so talented. You are so pretty, so shiny, and so tremendously remarkable. You are versatile, sort of fancy, and good for making things taste delicious. You are less sour than a standard lemon, and you are even a little sweet. You are a red-letter fruit, Meyer lemon.

Regular lemon, don't worry. I still love you, too. You are cheaper than a Meyer lemon, and easier to come by. I can buy you year-round, and sometimes you are even available for purchase at the convenience store. If I had a lemonade stand, I would still use you.

Sunday Project #2: Potion

One morning last week, I took a Meyer lemon out of the fridge so it could pose for some portraits on the windowsill. It was a really patient and professional model! After the photo shoot, I had to leave for work, so I spent the day brainstorming about what to do with the lemons when I got home. I had so many ideas, and just couldn't settle on one single idea, so I decided that the lemons could wait calmly while I figured it out.

Then, WHAM! All of a sudden, I received an email from the Meyer Lemon Spiritual Center of America, and my recipe idea suddenly appeared out of thin air. Magic! I will offer this disclaimer: the Meyer Lemon Spiritual Center of America is really just a loving nickname for my friend over at the (sometimes) professional kitchen. She's a stellar idea-haver and brilliant cook (so much so that it's her, um, job), and it was with pure thrill that I received her recipe for Meyer lemon simple syrup, which is surprisingly versatile and incredibly delicious. I've made citrus-infused simple syrups before, but with Meyer lemons, it's a whole new ballgame. There's something so attractive, yet distinctly cheeky, about this simple syrup. It's simple and earthy, yet fancy and almost sort of coy. A bit of a folksy spirit combined with uptown glamour and sophistication.

You can add any assortment of herbs to the mix. My friend suggests any of the following things: cardamom, sage, thyme, bay leaves, marjoram, peppercorns, or even (gasp!) shallots. I have a thing for rosemary, though, especially rosemary-ish cocktails, so I opted for that. I feel like I might go with lavender next time, but the sage and peppercorn idea also fascinates me. Keep in mind that you can totally make this simple syrup with regular lemons (Meyer lemons can be hard to find) or with oranges or grapefruit, or any other citrus fruit (or a combination!), but if you can get ahold of Meyer lemons, then opt for those.

I tend to think of Meyer lemons as an amazing addition to a cocktail, but my simple-syrup-friend recommends a variety of uses, ranging from a soup ingredient to a sorbet addition to even a foil to fatty meats. It's also great in hot tea or iced tea, and it pairs really well with gin or vodka. I've used it in a vinaigrette, and, as recommended, I took a bath in it, which you laugh at now, but believe me, you will soon understand what I'm talking about. This is a seriously magical elixir.

Rosemary-Meyer Lemon Simple Syrup

2 C water
3 C sugar
1/2 to 1 C rice wine vinegar or champagne vinegar*
3 Meyer lemons
1 or 2 stems of rosemary

Slice lemons into 1/8" thick rounds (or thinner if you have a really sharp knife). Take out the seeds, if it doesn't feel like too much of a bother. Set aside. Add the sugar, water, vinegar, and herbs to a deep pot or saucepan.
Warm over medium to low heat, stirring a bit, until it starts to steam and gurgle a little, but it shouldn't boil or even simmer. No bubbles, folks, no bubbles! When the sugar is dissolved, add the lemons and place a round of parchment paper over the mixture to keep the lemons submerged and the temperature stable.
Cook, maintaining warmth but still not simmering, for two or three hours or until the rinds are translucent. Take pan off the heat and let cool for about an hour. Put the whole mixture in a glass jar and refrigerate. Use all the time, in everything.

*You can add vinegar if you want to. I had never made simple syrup with vinegar before, and I was a little scared, so I used about 2/3 cup of rice wine vinegar and prayed for the best. I'll tell you this: it doesn't make it as vinegary as you might think. You'll definitely taste the acid of the vinegar, but it's a great addition to the simple syrup if you'll be using it in savory preparations. If you'll be using it for primarily sweet dishes/drinks, you can skip the vinegar and you'll maybe be happier. Experiment around, though, and start with a little vinegar and go from there.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Never heard of meyer lemons, will try and find here as the syrup sounds good! Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete